The OU IRB/HRPP understands that submitting to the IRB (especially for the first time) can be a stressful and frustrating process. We want to make that process as easy and straight-forward as we possibly can for you. We have put together several guidance documents and training materials to aid you in your submission. Links to those pages can be found below.
We currently offer the following training opportunities:
- Graduate Student Training - This training is held bi-annually, usually in late February/early March and late September/early October. This training covers a multitude of topics, such as the history of the IRB, processes and procedures, timeline expectations, Graduate College requirements, and more. We will advertise for these trainings as they are scheduled. Informational flyers will be posted here and on the IRB Facebook page. They will also be distributed by the Graduate College counselors.
- Rogers State, Cameron, and OU-Tulsa office hours - Once a semester, the Education/Training Coordinator holds office hours on the RSU, Cameron, and Tulsa campuses. The dates, times, and locations for these schedulings will be distributed to researchers once finalized.
- Departmental Training - We are more than happy to attend any departmental meetings to discuss either specific IRB topics or generalized processes and procedures. Please contact the HRPP office to schedule these: email@example.com
- Classroom-Trainings - We are also willing to come into your classroom to conduct informational trainings with your students! These can last as long or as short as you prefer, and we can cover any topics you request. Please contact the HRPP office to schedule these: firstname.lastname@example.org
- One-on-One Trainings - If all else fails, you can always schedule one-on-one trainings with the HRPP staff. We will meet with you to discuss the iRIS system and general IRB processes, or we will meet to discuss any issues you foresee with your individual study design. You may also choose to meet directly with the administrator and/or reviewer to go over any questions you may have with stipulations. We can meet in-person or by phone...your choice! Please contact the IRB office to schedule: email@example.com
Recently, Sierra Smith (previous IRB Education/Training Coordinator, current HRPP Director) participated in a series of video interviews with Dr. Jim Martin (Director of OU's Zarrow Center for Learning Enrichment). Sierra and Dr. Martin covered a number of topics and completed a total of five video interviews, all of which have been posted below.
- INTRODUCTION TO THE IRB
- WHEN MUST AN APPLICATION BE SUBMITTED?
- THE IRB APPLICATION
- VULNERABLE POPULATIONS
- RESEARCH IMPLEMENTATION
The videos were filmed and edited through OU's Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE). William "Biff" Farrell, an Academic Media Specialist with CTE, wrote a blog post about the video series; this post can be found here: http://bifffarrell.com/blog/ed-tech/#irb.
The Education and Training Coordinator is always looking for additional opportunities for training sessions and topics needing guidance materials. If you have any suggestions/questions concerning the training guides, or if you would like to schedule a departmental/classroom training session, please email the HRPP office: firstname.lastname@example.org
LINKS FOR GUIDANCE & EDUCATION
Like us on Facebook to stay up-to-date on submission tips and scheduled education/training sessions!