When you are collaborating with another investigator at an outside institution and they are the lead PI, you may wish to request OU to defer to the outside institution's IRB. This process ensures that you do not have to go through the full IRB process at both institutions. Instead, OU and the outside institution will enter into an IRB Authorization Agreement, giving the outside institution IRB oversight. To submit this request, follow the steps below.
- Log into iRIS (https://iris.ou.edu).
- Click “Add a New Study” under the Study Assistant tab on the left.
- Choose the second option for "Relying on an External IRB."
- Respond to the questions, using the "Save and Continue" button to move through the sections.
- Once the deferral application is complete, you will move into the upload screens.
- Save and continue past the Application section of the upload screen, and you will be taken to a section where you should upload any study attachments you may have. Refer to the list of documents in that upload section for guidance on what should be included.
- Click the gray button that says: "Add Multiple Documents” and upload the attachments. Select “Save Record(s)” when you have finished. You should now see the documents listed under the gray bars in this section.
- Save and continue and select the “Signoff and Submit” button. Input your 4x4 and password, select the “Approve” button, and select “Save Signoff.”
You will receive email correspondence if any stipulations or clarifications are needed for the submission. See the "How to Respond to Stipulations" page for guidance. You will also receive email updates regarding the IRB Authorization Agreement process and will be notified if OU is not able to defer IRB review. Once the agreement is finalized, we will withdraw your iRIS submission and send you an official "Deferral" letter.