When you are uncertain about whether your project/research activity requires IRB review and approval, we require that you submit a "Determination of Human Research Worksheet" via iRIS. Instructions for submitting the form are noted below.
- Log into iRIS (https://iris.ouhsc.edu)
- Click Add a New Study under the Study Assistant tab on the left.
- Choose the HSC Application option and click the Start Selected Application button.
- Respond to the questions in Sections 1.0 - 3.0. Click the Save and Continue to Next Section button to proceed throughout the form.
- In Section 4.0, select the Determination of Human Subjects Research Worksheet option and click save and continue.
- In Section 5.0, click the grey bar that says: Click here to start this form.
- Respond to the questions using the Save and Continue to the Next Section button proceed through the form.
- At the end of the form, select either the Exit Form or Close Form button. This will take you back into the original application.
- Click the Save and Continue to the Next Section button to proceed through and complete the application portion of your submission.
- Once you get reach the “1.0 Study Application” screen you will click the save and continue button to proceed to "2.0 Upload Support Documents" to upload and attach any study documents you may have.
If you do not have any study attachments, skip to #12 below.
- Click the gray button that says: Add Multiple Documents and upload your attachments.
- Select Save Document(s) when you have finished. You should now see the documents listed under the gray bars in Section 1200 - Upload Support Documents.
- Click the Save and Continue to the Next Section button to proceed to the next section and select the Signoff and Submit button.
- Input your HSC username and password, select the Approve button, and the select Save Signoff.
This will route the submission to our office for determination. If it is determined that IRB review and approval is not required, you will receive an email correspondence from iRIS with an attached outcome letter confirming this determination.
If it is determined that IRB review and approval is required, you will receive the emailed outcome letter from iRIS and a stipulation requesting a change to the application type (from Determination of Human Research Worksheet to full research application).